Re: no image open spec...

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 10:48 +0100, peter sikking wrote:

> the slider is a dead serious key in the whole experience. to seamlessly
> track the mood of users over a a working day (or a hobby night) is
> worth gold in user interaction.

You seem to assume that
- users will adjust the slider repeatedly
- this adjustment somehow reflects their mood (not just lighting
conditions from day to night or whatever)

I mean to recall that the product vision stresses serious, professional
level work. I don't see how playing with such a slider is compatible
with a getting-stuff-done mentality. I very strongly doubt that users
would adjust it repeatedly, anyway.

Then, even if they do: what does it tell us about their mood and what
would we do with that information?

> the thing to focus here is that GIMP is not going to behave like
> some
> kid
> yelling (yep, that is what a dialog is): "that was fun, what are we
> going
> to do now... I mean now... really now!"
>
> as long as we understand that, you will be able to understand the
> crucial decisions that I take here.

I fail to see how a full size window that is basically empty regarding
its informational and interaction aspects could be a good thing. It
manages to cover part of the desktop or other windows and distracts from
the then only useful bit, the menu. Seen this way, your wallpaper window
would yell, too, but it'd be: "BLAH!"

The opposite side of "what are we going to do now" would be "see how you
get along, I will not raise a finger to help you".

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/