Adding SpaceNavigator support

Hello everyone,

I work for 3Dconnexion (a Logitech company) and we make 3D input devices.
We also care about popular 2D apps that could use the high sensitivity of
our SpaceNavigator for panning and zooming.  GIMP was under our radar and
now we are considering to add support for our devices.

I am new to the GIMP code base so I wanted to ask some questions about the
architecture first.  What would be the best way (from a pure engineering
standpoint) to integrate my code? Meaning, via a plugin or just into the
main app?  Are there modules for I/O events (to deal with tablets,
controllers, etc) that I should start with and expand?

BTW let's not worry about licensing issues now.  My code will obviously be
shared and our devices are HID compliant, so no need to mess with
proprietary drivers.

Thanks in advance,

Ettore

--