Re: thumbnail generation for nautilus via gimp

Hello,
thanx to all for the feedback and help.

@David

This sounds nice, i will check it out. I'm trying now to create a automatic thumbnailer
( like http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/OpenDocument_Thumbnails
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/_attachments/OpenDocument_Thumbnails/opendocument-thumbnailer
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/_attachments/OpenDocument_Thumbnails/opendocument.schemas )
and if it done i will write a small plugin called "Browse Images" that will open Nautilus with the
directory of the opened image. If none image is loaded it will open the home directory.

My Script generates at the moment only for PSD, RGB and XCF files thumbnails, that i have
toch change too.

-
 |\/\/\/|
 |      |
 C      _)       bart@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 |   ,_/
 |   /    - Ich bin nicht berechtigt Aushilfslehrer zu feuern -
 /   \
                  http://www.neeneenee.de

Am Montag, den 03.12.2007, 19:20 +1030 schrieb David Gowers:
Hi Eckhard,

On Dec 2, 2007 6:15 AM, Eckhard M. Jäger <bart@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  i got the idea to create a python script thats generate the thumbnails of
> unsupported images in nautilus using gimp.
>  Implementing this in Gimp and in Nautilus.
>
>  I studied the commandline options ( -n, -a, -i, -d, -f, -s )of gimp and do
> not know if it is possible. Am i right i have to load and unload
>  all the images of a directory to get gimp generating an thumbnail or is
> there a better way?

I recommend you to use gimp-console instead of gimp; The GUI is
irrelevant to what you're doing.

Briefly, you need to:
1. Load the image
2. Generate the thumbnail
3. Delete the image from memory (using gimp-image-delete)

for each image in the list of images.

For a start, invoking gimp-console once for each image is fine.
Later I suggest you run gimp-console only once, for greatly increased
speed (make gimp's scripting loop over the files, rather than your
scripting.). You could do this very easily if you can rely on
gimp-python being installed on the users' machines, and use that
instead of Script-Fu. (you can also write a loop in Script-fu, but I
have very little idea HOW.)