Re: Developer-User Disconnect

Michael Schumacher wrote:
>> Von: Daniel Falk <daniel-gimpdevlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Also, if you are a user with a 1 time issue or question,
>> subscribing to a mailing list is overkill, whereas signing up for a
>> forum is easier and you don't get the mail volume.
>>

> ... and this is the reason why so many questions are asked multiple times on forums.

Not on forums that are administered well.  I've seen forums that have
strict rules against such things and that works surprisingly well.  They
also put sticky topics in the forums that appear on top that have
frequently repeated questions.  Even so, it's the ones who answer the
questions who are most annoyed by seeing the same questions over again.
For the user, the friendliest thing is to allow such questions, not that
I'm advocating it.  My point is that what works for the developers seems
to be different from what works for the users.

>> To the people who like mailing lists: what mail client do you like to
>> use that handles mailing lists well?  I would like to use one that lets
>> me watch or ignore threads at least.  That's probably the biggest gripe
>> with them at the moment.
>>

> I do assume that you should start looking for console-based ones, they are more likely to be used and influenced by people who prefer to work efficiently. mutt, maybe?

I prefer to work efficiently with a gui actually (Don't laugh!).
Anybody know of a good gui option?

 I might look at mutt for mailing lists though and see how it turns
out.  Thanks for the suggestion.