Re: Automatic white balance

On Nov 27, 2007 7:00 PM, Stephane Chauveau
<stephane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Øyvind Kolås wrote:
> > You could start out by studying the following paper, as well as it's references:
> > http://www.ivl.disco.unimib.it/papers2003/WB%20Combining%20%20EI%206502-12.pdf
> >
> > /Øyvind K.
> >
> Nice article. The following Wikipedia pages does not describe so many
> methods but are probably easier to start with:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_balance
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
>
> The following article is even less technical but is also a nice read and
> it explains the most common issues with automatic WB.
>
>  http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm
>
> Anyways, a plug-in providing several WB methods would be cool but, in
> most cases, I believe that it would be even better to extend the Color
> Balance tool with the ability to manually pick the grey point in the
> image. The easiest way to implement that feature could be to add a 'Set
> White Point' button to the Color Picker tool.

This functionality exists in the levels tool already.

Personally I'd prefer a gui similar to:

http://pippin.gimp.org/plug-ins/color_correct/

for a combined levels (on luminance) and white point/gray point/black
point offset. Since I don't find it entirely natural to modify the
white point using levels.

/Øyvind K. (Doing full quote and replying to the list since the
message I reply to didn't seem
to be sent to the list.)
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/