Re: some gimply thoughts

Hi Liam,

On Nov 21, 2007 5:00 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I saved these notes for when there was a 2.6, but then got swamped with
> other things...  I can flesh them out more, but I'm not likely to have
> time to do any programming in the forseeable future, I'm afraid.

I've scattered comments throughout, hopefully this helps..

> selction optimization
>     on subtracting (e.g. control is pressed), compute
>     the bounding box of the current selection (including the
>     feather radius) and don't try & go outside it with the new one;
>     you see this if you're using select-by-colour or the magic wand,
>     say, and you have to wait ages for it to calculate the selection
>     over a 500MByte image... images are getting bigger faster than
>     computers are getting faster right now.

Might be unneeded complexity. For a selection outline preview, it
would be simpler to apply the magic wand to a shrunk version of the
image while it is in operation, and only apply the magic wand to the
complete image when the user releases the button.

> Preferences
>     Create open file previews even if layer previews are off
>     Allow the user to reset a single pref. category, nut just everything
>
> File->open
>     show more detailed times and dates on files
>
> in tip of the day, "learn more" links to documentation and to
> tutorials in the manual
>
> in the undo window (I hope to do some pictures of this)
>     "creative explorer"?
>     click on image state, transitions shown between
>     Right now to undo something you have to click on the previous
>     operation -- e.g:
>     create a new image, paint, then erase, Undo History looks like
>     [thumb1] Base Image
>     [thumb2] PaintBrush
>     [thumb3] Eraser  <-- this is selected
>
>     so to undo the Eraser you click on the Paintbrush. Duh.
>     The icons should show image states:
>     [thumb1] Base Image
>         Paintbrush
>     [thumb2]
>         Erasor
>     [thumb3] <-- selected
>
>     Now it's obvious what clicking thumb2 means.
>
>     And look!  there's the possibility of making a tree: suppose
>     I click on thumb2 and now instead of redoing Eraser I do Curves...
>
>     [thumb1] Base Image
>         Paintbrush
>     [thumb2]
>        |     Eraser
>        | [thumb3]
>
>         Curves
>     [thumb4]
>
>     (apologies for the bad ascii tree here)
>
>     The undo history could also show more detail, e.g. scale to 25%,
>     where it makes sense, and also show when files were saved and
>     to what name.
>
>     This also leads to the idea of "redo select but add to selection
>     instead of subtract" if you right-click
>     (e.g. "redo with current tool options")
>
>     and maybe "clear undo up to this point"
>

> quickmask to work wih red mask even in grayscale images
This would require channels to be drawn after the gray->RGB internal
conversion but before the display filters come into effect.

> drawing
>     when you use shift to make a straight line, draw two lines, showing
>     the outline of the brush (tangents), not just one line.
This might be tricky, but doable. I would find it very useful. To be
reasonable,
this probably would need to just draw an extruded diamond (the points
of the diamond
being the midpoints of each side of the brush image.

>     when you change hardness/size, e.g. with a keystroke or by pressing
>     harder, show the actual brush in place for a moment
Cairo might help here.

>     filter brushes - paint with a filter (Krita has this by the way)

beyond 2.6, but definitely something desirable in the long term -- one
of peter's posts at his UI blog outlines a 'blobs of paint' idea that
includes this.

> text
>     justify-both doesn't seem to work, probably because there's no
>     obvious way to control line length.
>
>     kerning
>
>     access to opentype features (e.g. small caps)
>
>     access to arbitrary glyphs
>
>     hung punctuation
>
>     etc etc :-)
>
> plugins and filters
>
>     colourise
>         show the Hue by the Hue slider, or use a colour picker
>
>     merge visible layers
>         if all layers are the same size, and the
>         same size as the image, don't ask
>         whether to clip them.
nice simple enhancement.

>     condense/stretch font
>
>     retain textness on image scaling and layer scaling
>
>     automatic white balance - allow the user to pick black and
>     white points

.. It would then not be automatic white balance, but manual or
partially-automatic white balance.

> menus
>     rename Image->crop image to Image->Crop to Selection
>     same with layer->crop
>
> dodge
>     want to be able to specify what's meant by midtones, highlight, etc.
>     really, want a "curves brush".
Is this really related to dodge/burn tool?
Isn't a curves brush a case of 'filter brush'?

> tips
>     the doge tool is usually most effective if you make lots of
>     short, separate strokes.
>
> convolve
>     select radius...
>
> colours->levels
>     "auto" loses detail by default; change so it doesn't, but
>     maybe have a "highlight and depth crop amount" of 3%

Could you present evidence of this? From what I understand of the
'auto levels' function, it can never reduce the range of the output,
only expand it, so any lack of detail is due to hidden lack of detail
in the input image.