Re: XCF saving all state = no more temporary parasites

On Fri,  9 Nov 2007 10:15:42 -0800, "William Skaggs" <weskaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> From: Raphaël Quinet <raphael@xxxxxxxx>> >- All image parasites and layer/drawable parasites.  They should all> >  be persistent - no reason to have exceptions.> > The problem is that when a parasite gets saved, it becomes in effect> a part of the API that must be supported forever.  [...]> This sort of thing may> make sense for stable releases, but during development it is often a> great convenience to be able to experiment with formats without every> attempt being a commitment that will bind you forever.
Well, the developer releases are not supposed to be stable.  And as longas the development tree is still far from any feature freeze, then it isnot wise to expect that its APIs will be supported forever.  The format ofsome persistent parasites has been changed during the 1.3.x developmentcycle in a way that was not backwards-compatible (maybe during othercycles as well, I didn't check).  So I don't think that we have a realproblem here.
If you really think that unstable releases should never save stuff thatmay be changed before the stable release, then we could add a new flagGIMP_PARASITE_UNSTABLE or GIMP_PARASITE_EXPERIMENTAL and define thatflag only if GIMP_UNSTABLE is defined.  That would do exactly the oppositeof what we have now: parasites would be saved unless marked as unstable.But that's a bit overkill...