Re: roadmap items from the UI team...

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 11:47 +0100, peter sikking wrote:

> > I don't think that "true floating inspectors" are implementable at
> > all.
> > But perhaps you need to explain first what "true floating" means.
>
> let's see: always on top of any normal window, but under menus and
> dialogs; does not appear in taskbar; not visible when GIMP is not
> the foreground application. that is the mandatory bit, I think.

All we can do is to set the "utility" window hint then and hope that the
window manager will interpret it the way you describe. As far as I know,
this hint doesn't have any effect on Windows or Mac OS X. But perhaps
this could be addressed on the GDK level. We would have to make sure
then that this is improved with GTK+ 2.14.

> I was getting more positive because you were talking in
> optimistic terms about when 'always a window with menu bar' would
> be implemented. are we now back to 'you'll have to patch all window
> managers to do that'?

We can always have a window with menu bar without also implementing
"true floating inspectors". It would allow us to get a unified menu and
on some platforms / window managers the "true floating inspectors" thing
could actually work. I wouldn't want to put it on the roadmap though.

Sven