Re: a first step towards Cairo drawing

Chris Mohler wrote:
> Sven Neumann wrote:
>> Currently we are drawing the rectangle using XOR. When we switch to
>> Cairo this should probably change. But I am not entirely sure how to
>> best draw a nice-looking outline that is visible on all images.
>> Perhaps
>> some of the artists out there could draw me some nice mockups?
>
> How about darkening the outside-of-the-view area and then adding a
> simple white border?
> http://cr33dog.fedorapeople.org/misc/gimp/nav.png

yep, that is also what I came up with.

overlay the outside with 50% transparent black,
and a 1 pixel 50% transparent white border.

that should work on all images. The percentages
(the gray value or the alpha) can be adjusted when
the darkening/lightening turns out to be too severe,
like it is in the screenshot linked above.

     --ps

             man + machine interface works