Re: Feature request for a "spot healing brush"

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 09:30 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 20:37 -0500, Daniel Falk wrote:
> > Photoshop has a tool that works like the healing brush except that it
> > doesn't require a source region to be specified before using the tool.
> > When there are a lot of quick touch-ups to do, this is very convenient.
> >
> > Photoshop somehow guesses what it should use as source material and is
> > often accurate.  When it's not accurate, users can undo it, and then
> > fall back on the healing brush and manually specify that information.
>
> Since we don't know how this works in detail, there is not much point in
> suggesting that we add such a feature.

I could find a video for anyone interested, but that really wasn't my
point.  I suggested the feature not simply to ask for someone to copy
photoshop in detail, but to solve the same problem that photoshop has
managed to solve.  Namely, figuring out an effective, efficient, and
time-saving way of cleaning up a photo with a lot of marks or a dusty
scan.

> In general I would like to point out that it is unlikely that any of the
> active core developers will pick up your feature requests. If you can
> find a developer who is interested in the algorithms and willing to work
> on this stuff, then we are very willing to give him/her a hand and guide
> him/her through the GIMP code and to review patches. But without a
> volunteer, this is likely to be just another feature requests. We
> already have several hundreds of them.
>

> Sven

That's a shame, but I do understand there is a lot of work to be done on
the gimp and only so much expertise to go around.  Still, can it be
logged as a valid feature request somewhere in the event that someone
with the interest in improving the gimp might choose to implement this
request?  After all, I didn't just request it to scratch my own itch.  I
wanted to add my input into how the GIMP could improve.

I wouldn't really know how to find a developer to work on this stuff.  I
would assume it's more likely that developers would come to you as core
developers of the GIMP than to me after all.

Thanks for your attention and all the hard work you guys do on the GIMP.