Re: Adjustment Layers - How can I Help?

David,

Interesting. GEGL sounds very much in line with a lot of the ideas I have about how to approach the problem. Is this seen as the future of GIMP's core? How big an effort is the port to GEGL expected to be? It sounds like an exciting time to join the development team.

You mentioned that GEGL integration is slated for 2.4...2.6 development. Where can I find more information on plans for GIMP's development cycles? Are these documented somewhere on developer.gimp.org?

Thanks,
Andy

On 10/7/07, David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/8/07, Andrew Young <joven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I have been an avid Gimp user for a number of years. I have always wished
> Gimp supported non-destructive image adjustments such those available with
> Photoshop "adjustment layers." From searching around the internet, it seems
> I am not alone in this wish. However, I haven't been able to find solid
> information on whether they are planned, under development, or sitting in a
> pile of nice-to-have enhancements waiting for attention. Rather than
> continue to wish for them, I am considering joining the development team and
> implementing them myself. Are there others currently working on this
> feature? If so, how can I help? If not, has anyone put some serious thought
> into how this could be implemented?

Hi, non-destructive adjustments are going to be implemented via GEGL
( www.gegl.org) - after the final 2.4 is released will be the time to
work on this in GIMP (indeed, GEGL integration is the entire purpose
of the 2.4...2.6 development cycle.); other than that,
there is http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/ for working out the UI
(and http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/labels/GIMP.html , the
precursor).
Feel free to contribute to the brainstorming process or to GEGL, and
eventually to GIMP as it enters the 2.6 dev cycle.