Re: kdevelop and gimp

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 13:22:02 +0200, Nathaniel Pangilinan
<nathanielpangilinan@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey,
> I have read on this page
> http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2007-January/017072.html
> that you have managed to integrate IDE debugging for Gimp into kdevelop.
> I am trying to do
> this but I'm not sure what to do. Do you have any tips about how to get
> this working?

hi,

AFAICR the starting point is to import the project into KDEV as a Gnome
make project. This basically goes remarkably well but you have to make
sure it is set up in the top level directory as default and not build in
the debug subdir as it will do by default.

You can do all this afterwards if you miss it during the import stage.

The other caveat is some difference of opinion between kdev and gimp-dev
as to the correct way to use automake. You will want to run command line
./configure with all your options like prefix etc as you would for gimp
source build. Kdev keeps saying things are out of date and wants to run
"automake and freinds". Just say no o'w you need to rerun configure.

I ended up setting this in my bash init script to save typing it all in
every day. I can't recall if this let me do more of it automatically from
kdev. Change the contents to fit your build requirements.

# for kdev and gimp
export AUTOGEN_CONFIGURE_ARGS="--prefix=/opt/gimp --enable-debug=full
--without-wmf"

Once you have configured and built it once you can use kdev to build again
after making changes to the source and you should have full IDE debugging
with variable eval etc.

I think both -g or -g3 will produce correct output for gdb on which kdev
relies don't try -O2 or else your code stepping in the source will be
completely out of sync due obscur compiler optimisations, make sure you
have gdb-6.6 and kdevelop-3.4

It was quite impressive once I got it working. Some old hacks seem quite
happy printing out variable values from cli gdb commands but I started
debugging using Borland IDEs with Turbo Pascal in 1984 anything else seems
like hard work now.

Hope that gets you started.

/gg

--