Re: features discussion for future Gimp abilities

Gimp is a bitmap image manipulation program, so adding vector graphics
for other task than supporting image manipulation procedures (i.e.
selecting) is quite out of place.
IIrc some primitive shapes are already provided by plugins using xfig,
and you can easily create some vector shapes using the path tool  (wich
is excellent in Gimp, btw) in combination with the tools for converting
paths into strokes or selections.
If it isn't enough for you, you can import SVG files (which is an
standard format supported by most of the modern vector graphics
applications) as paths.
If it's still not enough for you, it's clear that you're looking for a
vector illustration/design program.
As you've been told, Inkscape is a great program. If you think is that
far behind Corel Draw or Illustrator I guess you haven't used it enough.
Using Inkscape in combination with Gimp is like using
Photoshop+Illustrator, or Corel Draw+Corel Photopaint.
Even those mainstream programs didn't go that way (mixing vectors and
raster in the same program) and when they tried to do it, they became
ugly bloatware. Corel Draw is one.
I wouldn't see Gimp become a 200 MB package with lots of unuseful
features that obstaculize its main goal, which is the manipulation of
bitmap images.

There's a lot of features and enhancements that Gimp needs, but this,
imho, is not one of them.

Anyway, feel free to follow this discussion off-list with if you want
to. I have intentions of opening an unofficial space for functionality
discussion (maybe a wiki), to avoid disturbing developers in this list.
Regards,
Gez.