Re: Time to stick a fork into the GIMP again?

Witam damianzalewski,
Friday, August 3, 2007, 11:56:39 AM, napisałe/aś:
icc>> Well, I am afraid of the GIMP's future. It seems that the "restrict users and remove functionality" mindset is prevalent among the current GIMP men of influence. The often harmful HIG rules theicc>> day. The useful after-delay for taking screenshot is removed. This is not only just pain in the ass for the power-users, but it sends a message to anyone who would like to hack on the GIMP andicc>> bring new, useful, but not simple, features. But this is only the beginning. GUI nazis has been hired to work on the GIMP. I have read their blog and their messages. In horror. They are talkingicc>> about removing features which are critical to any serious pixel pushing aplication - layer modes. And more. The GIMP is on the slippery slope of the way to become crippleware.
icc>> Well, if that is the case, we need a new application. Power-user friendly, not caring about grand-mas and their fear of advanced features. We need an application with interface which is toicc>> newbies as much confusing and incomprehensible as the Blender's interface is. But such an interface brings features - and for a power-user willing to learn it is much more usable than theicc>> interface crippled down to appeal to newbies.
icc>> But there is no point in developing such an application from sratch if we have the GIMP, under GPL, which already went at least half the way to become the great pixel pushing application. Letsicc>> fork it. But I want to discuss it first with the developers here, anybody interested to go that way?
icc>> Mist

d> I'm afraid that gimp project is too big to easily redesign it. Youd> probably overestimate your capabilities or underestimate others. I'ved> seen a lot of projects started with passion and ended becaused> of lack of programmers or motivation.  Cinepaint seems to stuck and look whatd> happened to Gimpshop too.
d> However there are some positive changes in gimpd> for example color management, one-window option on windows,d> new selection tool and others.
d> In my personal opinion gui should be redesigned to MDId> Why ? As a Windows user I'm tired of problems with vanishingd> windows (one-window option) not to mention that work withoutd> one-window optiond> makes Gimp unusable on windows platform. I have tried Gimp 2.0 andd> uninstalled it, then 2.2 and the same, 2.4 is the first usable versiond> of Gimp on Windows.
I mean "gui should be redesigned to SDI" of course.