Re: gimp "switchers"

On 1/08/2007, at 3:10 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 14:25 +1200, Robert Carter wrote:
>> [...]
>>  I would want to modify:
>> = Menu layout
>> = Keyboard short cuts ( including backspace, tab and space which are
>> standard PS shortcuts )
>>
>> And also possibly (less important)
>> = GTK behaviours of the panels (photoshop has several tools on the
>> same button)
>> = Fullscreen behaviour (panels remain visible, windowed / grey
>> ground / black ground - toggling)
>
> Sometimes it's actually better to have a tool that's very different
> than one that's almost identical.  When I started using the GNOME
> mail program, evolution, I sent out a lot of messages before I had
> finished editing them, by mistake, and eventually realised that the
> keystroke for "send immidiately without asking for confirmation" in
> evolution was the same as "go back to the top of the message to review
> your draft" in Sun mailtool that I had used years earlier.  The
> programs
> were similar enough I was trying to do things without even
> realising it
> that were different.

Thanks for your advice. We all have different feelings about how we
use software and I believe there is no best way to suit everyone.
Part of what I love about free software (an unix for that matter) is
the ability to customise your workflow and environment. My point here
is that i'd like to selfishly cater to my personal tastes and make
these available to others who have the same or similar tastes.

> There was (or is) a fork of GIMP called gimpshop that tried/tries
> to be
> more like PhotoShop, but it still won't have adjustment layers, and it
> will still be better at rotating than photoshop :-) (I love the
> "revese
> grid" mode).

Yes, I tried gimpshop and it's not very good. Changing the menus is a
start, but fast photoshop people do 90% of the work with the
keyboard. I don't dispute the quality of what gimp does in terms of
features and image processing.

> So I'd urge you to start by writing up more carefully what changes
> you think would be most helpful and why, and why they would either
> benefit non-PhotoShop users or at least not have a negative impact
> on existing GIMP users.

I don't seek to change the gimp's default key bindings and menu but
to offer an alternative that may be activated if wanted. Do you think
this can be realistically integrated with the gimp's present
architecture?

Documentation is important of course. Should I post here, or to the
wiki: http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/

Rob