Re: Request for Change 0 Free Select Behavior

On 7/30/07, Stephen Kiel <s_nick_k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David,
>
> I found a gimp-2.3.18-i586-setup.exe and installed it (after a system backup).  I wanted to check the functions you mentioned without having to set up a build from source code.
>
> Anyway, the way the freehand select is working in 2.3.18 is great, it was just what I was looking for.  The advise about using the channels for the boolean operations on multiple selections worked out great as well, I didn't realize they had that capability.  I had never thought of channels beyond the Red, Blue, Green decomposition of the image & didn't have occasion to think of using them.

I'm glad I could help.

> I tried the foreground select and found it pretty interesting.  It looks like it wil be a real time saver.  I did have a couple of observations which might be old news since this is one version back from 2.3.19, but here goes just in case:
>
> 1) There wasn't an obvious want to tell the tool you were done refining and ready to make the selection.  It took a while to notice the message at the bottom of the window to hit enter. Seems like putting in a button would save some new user fumbling, but after they discover that "Enter" is the shortcut, they will probably not use the button any more.  Don't know what to recommend for this.
Yes, I noticed this too. An additional difficulty is that the
statusbar is not guaranteed to be visible, so putting a button next to
the status display would not guarantee the user sees it. I don't have
any idea what to do here either.

> 2) The foreground select tool seemed to act differently depending on the image size (pixels) and the zoom level.  Might be the version, might be the installation I picked up.  With an image that is 2304 x 3072 which comes up with a default 25% zoom on my screen, the preview display covers the entire image after selecting a region to work on.  Taking it up to 100% zoom displays it they way you would expect.

Yes, this bug is known and fixed, release 2.3.19 includes this fix.