Re: Webdesign is wrong

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:04:59 +0100, David Marrs <David.Marrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> As an experiment at work I decided to work on just the one image when "saving > for web" and found that I really don't need to do the spot comparisons between > images after all. What's more important is the ability to change the quality of > a jpeg with minimum faff. It turns out that PS's "save for web" has a couple of > flaws in this regard: [...]
I think that Photoshop also does a couple of things in the right way andI would like to confirm that but I do not have access to PS.  Besidesallowing you to quickly check how changes in quality affect the finaloutput size, it also automatically changes the way a file is savedcompared to a normal "Save".  I remember reading somewhere that "Save forWeb" was automatically discarding metadata that is not useful for the weband also allowing you to easily omit ICC profiles and other things thatincrease the file size (assuming that web browsers use sRGB).
It would be nice if you or any other Photoshop user could confirm that"Save for Web" automatically discards metadata.  I am almost sure that itdiscards XMP and probably EXIF (at least the thumbnail), but I am notsure about IPTC.  So if you have an image that contains metadata such ascopyright, author, location, all camera settings and so on, please try tosave it with "Save for Web" and reply to this list saying which of thesefields are preserved in the final output and which of these are discarded.