Re: new rectangle tool specification

Sven wrote:

> you have been working on an updated specification for the rectangle
> tools in GIMP 2.4. The current state is here:
>
>  http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Specifications

under construction, btw...

> First of all, could you please move this specification to its own page
> and link to it from the specifications page? We will want to have lots
> of such specs and the current page is already getting too long.

Yeah, might as well do it now... done.

> Then I have some comments. These affect two things, the handles and
> how
> they are drawn and the handling of the cursor keys. Both are aspects
> that  already worked pretty well over the last development releases
> and
> it is somewhat unfortunate that you suggest that they are changed
> again.
> But my critiscm is not due to that fact but simply because the
> suggested
> changes feel like a regression.

'Worked pretty well' is not the same as solving the problem, and
achieving a result that I'd be proud to show my user interaction
or usability colleagues.

> Martin already implemented aspects of the new corner handles in
> SVN, so
> one can easily try it.

I had to revert my svn to see what you are seeing. I had a sunday
evening patch from Martin applied.

Once again thanks from my side for Martin, he's been 'on fire' all
weekend.
It is a pleasure to work with him on getting the spec implement, and
use the in-between results to fine-tune some of the handle proportions.

> When the mouse is moved over a side handle, a
> side handle and two corner handles are drawn. If I want to reach the
> corner, I aim for the highlighted rectangle. But when my mouse reaches
> it, it turns out that what was highlighted as the target area is
> actually a dead area and nothing happens when I click and drag
> there. I
> don't think this is acceptable behaviour. The highlighting of the side
> and corner handles before the change was much easier to predict.
> Perhaps
> we should go back to that?

I see what you mean. I realise now that I have been looking at these
highlighted side handles since the weekend and thought:
'ah, a corner-handle-and-a-half.' The problem is the 1-pixel solid
line, and I have changed the spec to make them stippled. That will
make them subtler and different... done.

> The other aspect is not yet implemented. The spec suggests that
> when the
> mouse is over one of the corner or side handles, and one of the cursor
> keys is pressed, the rectangle shall be resized by one (shift: 15)
> image
> pixel in that direction and (new) the the canvas shall be scrolled in
> such a way that the position of the bounding rectangle under the
> sprite
> shall be constant.
>
> I don't think that scrolling the canvas is a good idea. The reason is
> simple. We can't currently scroll beyond the canvas. As soon as
> that is
> changed (probably not for 2.4), we can review this part of the
> spec. But
> currently it would just feel akward. Sometimes the canvas would
> scroll,
> sometimes it wouldn't. For the user it is hard to predict what will
> happen. So I suggest that we don't do any scrolling and that a note is
> added to the spec that this part should be reviewed when bug
> #362915 is
> fixed.

OK, all things considered, I am going to put on ice the goal of
keeping the mouse sprite stable on the handle.

Changed the spec... done.

     --ps

         principal user interaction architect
         man + machine interface works