Re: Webdesign is wrong

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 19:11 +0200, peter sikking wrote:
> Liam,
> Please don't forget other users :-)  I routinely have a selection
> that's, say, 10,000 pixels by roughly 40 pixels.  This might not
> be a usual case for Web graphics...
>
> an aspect ratio of 1000 to 4. cool.
>
> at what zoom level(s) do you adjust this selection?

100% or 50% most often.  A sample use case is that I've scanned a
woodcut or engraving with a border, such as
http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Brown-LettersAndLettering/pages/171-English-Gothic-Capitals/
and I want to erase marks from the edges, such as fibres in the paper,
foxing, or dirt...  I'll start by making the whole image visible --
drag the borders of the window to make it smaller, then control-shift-E,
then make the window bigger, and now I can use rect tool... the dragging
is needed so as to get a border around the image so that I can drag the
mouse pointer over it to select the whole image, as otherwise it's hard
or impossible to select the edge at (say) 6% zoom... then I can go to
100% (or 50% or sometimes even 25%) and adjust the edge of the
selection, then either crop or fill with white.

Another workflow is to make several selections, say 20, one at a time,
because adjusting the selection can still use a lot of memory, although
if you clear the undo history often enough it's OK.

Another use case might be if an image was damaged, e.g. the page was
creased, or it's across 2 pages, or scanned in two parts, and I have
to make a patch to cover a hole. Sometimes after rotating a scanned
image by, say, 0.5 degrees, if there's a texture on the page I want to
keep, I'll make a patch in the same sort of way.

Anyone working with print images is likely to have need for selections
that are several thousand pixels long, too.  E.g. consider making a
selection and using "curves" in order to create a border.

Hope this helps, although I'm not sure how :)

Liam