Re: A few simple patches

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 11:01 +0930, David Gowers wrote:

> > (2) It mixes filenames with strings displayed in the GUI. Filenames can
> > be of a different encoding and therefore need special treatment. In
> > particular you must not call g_path_get_dirname() on the result of
> > file_utils_uri_display_name().
>
> So the filename should be recoded to ascii and then finally back to
> UTF-8? (IIRC URI's are encoded in UTF-8.)

No, filenames are not in ASCII encoding. GLib has functions to convert
from and to filename encoding but it would go beyond the scope of this
mailing-list to explain this here.

Since I have already taken care of the issue in SVN, I don't think we
need to discuss this further.

> > (3) Showing a directory name does only work for local files, it breaks
> > for remote files.
>
> This is incorrect, I checked for that case and it shows what I believe
> to be the correct parallel to 'directory name':
> for 'http://foo.bar/baz/bif.gif' it shows 'http://foo.bar/baz/'
> (the only other parallel I could see making sense would be /baz/ --
> which strikes me as not-very-helpful.)

It would have broken on Windows where the path separator for filenames
is different from the path separator in URIs.

Sven