APNG support

Hi

Sorry I don't know if this is the right list for this message.

I was wondering whether there is any interest in having The Gimp support
the APNG format? And if so, whether any of the Gimp developers would be
willing to write it?

The format has been designed to build on PNG, so whatever processing is
done on regular PNG files will apply to APNG files and frames. The
format also mostly mirrors the features of Animated GIF, so from a GUI
point of view any program that works with Animated GIFs will need only
minor changes to support all the APNG features.

The patch for libpng, to do the decoding, is available here:
http://littlesvr.ca/apng/ I can port it to newer/older versions of
libpng if you need it.

There is also a short tutorial on using the patched libpng to work with
animations, including examples: http://littlesvr.ca/apng/tutorial/

I have never worked on The Gimp so I can't write a patch, all I can
offer is help with the patched libpng, and to explain the specification
if it's confusing.

Cheers,

Andrew