Re: crop isn't stopped at image borders

Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 01:38:06PM +0300, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:
>> In GIMP 2.3.18 crop tool isn't stopped at image borders as it was in
>> 2.3.14. It is a bug: if ratio is set it is violated by this. And even if
>> no ratio is set crop should not affect pixels outside the image.
>
> Do you mean the ratio is not correctly applied if the cropping rectangle
> leaves the image borders, and only then?

There are different cases.

1. I use fixed ratio. If the crop window leaves image borders, the ratio
is violated.
2. I use fixed crop window dimensions. When touching the edge of an
image the mouse is still moving, the crop window isn't crossing the edge
and the preset window size is violated.

> I disagree on the last sentence. While limiting crop to within the image
> borders is convenient in many cases, being able to freely change the
> canvas size for a layer or image is useful, too. I mean to recall it's
> in fact an option in the last stable release.

I would prefer to have this feature switchable with a checkbox (and I'll
set it not to cross edges at least most of the time). I'll ground it.
When one is processing images for further printing, cropping is framing.
And the result _should_ have defined ratio. If one is moving crop window
within an image, looking if it has crossed the borders and violated the
resulting ratio is a waste of time and work.

--
With respect
Alexander Rabtchevich