Re: lgm 07, top???5 GIMP user requests...

Thorsten wrote:

> On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 01:49:52AM -0300, Guillermo Espertino wrote:
>
>> Turning Gimp into a MDI application will make several users happy,
>> but
>> IMO it won't benefit Gimp at all.
>
> As far as I got it, this is all in line with what Peter has been
> proposing. Where MDI would be an _option_ that could be tackled
> _after_ floating panels have been adressed.

yep.

>> You can see a screenshot of my current tool layout in gimp using that
>> idea here:
>> http://www.ohweb.com.ar/screenshots/Gimp-Screenshot.jpg
>
> Fine if that works for you and nice to see docking put to work for
> a custom layout. But I shudder on the thought of having to move the
> pointer from one side of the screen to the other, for tweakink tool
> options after picking a tool. (Personaly, I learned the shortcuts for
> all frequently used tools, but I still use the tool palette at times)

Thorsten has got a point with the preferred proximity of the tool
options
to the tool palette. As it looks and feels at the moment, these need to
be close to each other to show their connection. One solution for this
is to start tying the options to what actually gets done with the tool
to the image, and start putting the options in heads-up displays near
to where one is working.

     --ps

         principal user interaction architect
         man + machine interface works