Re: lgm 07, top???10 GIMP user requests...

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 11:29:55AM +0200, peter sikking wrote:
> Thorsten wrote:
>
> >10. better printing support
> >
> >Paper, maybe better called media, could be handled as special kind of
> >layer that is restricted to stay below all image layers (unless hiding
> >stuff below it makes any sense).
>
> Think workflow, not about highjacking a image concept (layers):

I thought I did. Think about workflow.

> >But paper alone is not a sufficient model, I fear. There's the thing
> >you print on and the final product (after cutting, perhaps) ...
> >PDF has this media/crop/trim/bleed/art box model. Scary stuff ;)
> >http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1041
> >Better written, but german: http://www.dtp-praxis.de/tipps/
> >pdfboxen.htm
>
> Wow scribus, a pre-press oriented (that is their product vision) dtp
> app.
> GIMP's ambitions to not reach that far.

The nature of Scribus is not of interest here, Ther just happens to be
an english language description of the terms in their bug tracker.

It doesn't matter if you deal with complex page layouts or "just images".
It also doesn't matter much whether you target your desktop printer
or a larger machine. The issues of media size, printable area, bleed
and desired final size are just there.

> I would really measure this static-indexed requirement against the
> product vision before throwing in yaUIc (yet another UI complication).

Sure.

> And why are we talking teensy little details here when the presentation
> and blog entry was about solutions models: the general direction
> forward?

It doesn't look to me like there is anything to discuss about your
solutions model. I would mean this in a bad way if it didn't look like
you know what you are doing there and if what I read didn't seem all
agreeable.

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Design for Free Software: