Re: internal representation of a selection

From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:10:19 +0200 (CEST)

>We had some discussions here 5 weeks, ago.
>I had a look at the current implementation (in the development version).
>There I found the reference to a paper by T. Georgiev (from Adobe).
>The current implementation fails in some fundamental aspects.
>
> [...]
>
>My current plan encompasses a few steps outlined below. Perhaps I'll add
>a quick mode which would be similar to the clone tool lateron.
>
> [...]

Helmut,

  A couple of thoughts.

  First, there would be a big advantage in starting from the existing
healing tool code instead of creating a new one completely from scratch --
the advantage is that a lot of developer time has gone into the user-interaction
aspects of the existing code, and people would perhaps not be so patient if
they had to repeat with you all of the advising that went on with sookocheff.

  Second, your approach requires a multi-scale solver.  Do you propose to
write one from scratch, or to use an existing one?

  Third, an approach that makes use of the selection and source-center,
without requiring any painting, does not need to be a tool at all -- it
can, and probably should, be implemented as a plug-in.  You would probably
find it easier to develop that way, since the libraries used by plug-ins
are far better documented than most of the functions used in the core.

  -- Bill

Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu