Re: internal representation of a selection

On Friday 30 March 2007 13:10, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can somebody, please, point me to some information on how a
> selection is represented (internally) within Gimp and how one can
> access this. Is it represented by a matrix of bits?
> If the selection has many holes it's not sufficient to have a lower
> and upper bound for each pixel row. I need the selection exactly
> for my attempt at a new healing tool.
>
> Many thanks for a pointer,

Hi Helmut -
the selection is a matrix of bits, yes - a "drawable" object, with one
byte per pixel, meaning the "strenght"  of the selection at that
point.

the call gimp_image_get_selectin available for plug-ins can return you
the selection as a drawable object.
Through the UI you can simply enable the quickmask (click on the
little square to the left of the hor. scroll bar on an image window),
to transfer the selection to an editable image channel.

	js
	-><-