Re: Denoising Plugin

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:31:50 +0200, Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've just compiled a plugin based on a denoising program that attracted
> slashdot's attention a short while ago.
>
> http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/99611463/article.pl
>
> It gets very good reviews compared to Noise Ninja and other commercial
> products.
>
> I was wondering if it is good enough that you might be willing to
> include it in the standard distro?  The only holdback I can see is that
> it is written in C++.
>
> I've got it running on SuSE 10.0 and there is a windows version
> available online.
>
> The author has no objections to including it.
>
> Jim
> _________________________________

very interesting filter.

I just did a quick comparison rescaling some of thier sample images with
lanczos interpolation in gimp.

Generally, lanczos was inbetween cubic and the denoising filter. The
latter usually produces images that are easier on the eye than both cubic
and lanczos but on closer inspection this is not without a price.

Denoising grossly simplifies the image in cleaning it up. The girl in hat
image, res_lana.png becomes badly distorted and the result is worse than
both lanczos and cubic. (This is going by thier images on the demo page).

Ringing, while present, is less than gimp lanczos.

However, quite a bit of detail is lost and the biggest defect seems to be
constast takes a bit hit.

The overall effect is pleasing and probably would be good for a lot of
applications.

Like any image processing it's a case of horses for courses and what
defects in the result are acceptable in a specific application with a
specific image.

Thanks for bringing this up. A useful filter to have.

gg.