Re: Rudeness on gimp devel and bugzilla

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:41:48 -0700, Manish Singh <yosh@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 08:00:42AM +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> > Though, Inkscape I think seems to have succeeded better than both GIMP
> > and Krita (attatching new and prettier script version)
>
> Yeah, but not by much. The point being, pretty much all free software
> projects could use more contributors, and I don't think perceived
> rudeness is the primary cause of this. The Linux kernel folks are far
> ruder than anything that's happened on this list, but the number of
> contributors is in the thousands.

We seem to have a rather bad reputation, though.  Try the following
totally unscientific exercise: associate the terms "gimp developers" or
"gimp contributors" or "gimp hackers" or "gimp admins" (including the
quotes) with words such as rude, arrogant, unfriendly, assholes and so
on.  Then count the number of pages that are found for each of these
combinations using your favorite web or newsgroup search engine.

Continue this exercise by taking a random sample of these hits, checking
how many of them actually accuse the developers of being rude versus how
many are just accidental associations due to the fact that these terms
appear on the same page but in different contexts.  And adjust the total
number of hits according to the proportion found in the random sample
(the other option is to perform an exhaustive review of all hits - good
luck with that).

Now that you have these unscientific numbers for GIMP, repeat the
exercise for "Linux developers", "kernel developers", "GNOME developers",
"Inkscape developers", and so on with Krita, KDE, Mozilla, OpenOffice...
Of course these numbers have to be weighted according to the total number
of hits without the derogative terms (e.g. "gimp developers" without
"rude", etc.)

I did not waste too much time on this pointless exercise, but it looks
like GIMP does have a bad reputation, as it comes first or second in the
associations with "rude", "arrogant", "unfriendly", etc.  The Linux
kernel guys are a bit more rude and the GNOME developers are more arrogant
(but not so rude nor unfriendly).  But overall, GIMP scores rather high.
It will probably take a long time to change that perception...

Note that I do not intend to continue this discussion nor to perform this
silly exercise in depth.  We have already discussed this long enough and I
hope that we will all be a bit more careful when replying to questions or
bug reports.  For Bugzilla, I think that the general guideline would be to
always thank the reporte, even if the bug report is not so good.

-Raphaël