Re: save for web plugin feedback

Hello , I am the person who wrote the forum posts about "Save for web"
like features which my friend earlier forwarded to this list.

First a crash report.
The save-for-web plug-in crashes when I try to preview an image as GIF
which matches this criteria:
* At least one hidden layer
* At least one visible layer

Using: Save for Web 0.8.1 - Gimp 2.3.15 - Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
The error console lists these errors on crash:
* PDB calling error: Procedure 'temp-procedure-number-19' not found
* Unable to run GimpPdbProgress callback.

As for features:
* Zoom: Higher zoom than 800% would be good for a better feeling for
each pixel (which is nice when deciding the amount of colours in an
indexed mode format, or inspecting compression artifacts.)
* Cropping: The crop panel collapses when: 1. Changing the crop
dimensions back to the previewed images size. 2. Using the re-size tool.
Very confusing and irritating.
* Previewing: When rendering a new preview, the preview area becomes
black if the image has its original size and shows the original image if
it has been re-sized. It would be very good if the previous preview
could be kept until the new preview is ready and then the two be changed
gaplessly as this would give you great information about how the
optimised version has changed with the new preview.

Answers to Cedric Gemy's questions:

>  > Side by side comparison of original image vs. optimized version.
>
> because he is comparing to photoshop which allows to have 4 previews for
> the same image. That is nice of course but is that so useful that gimp
> has to clone Photoshop ?

I use it almost all the time when I save as JPEG or GIF. Not having to
change the compression level to see how much the final image changes is
a big bonus.

I don't understand why you say clone Photoshop. I can't think of any
other way to do this than displaying previews next to each other or
toggling between them with a widget.

>  > using Save for web for other media than the web
>  > is nice too
>
> an example should be nice; [...]

What I meant with this point was that the features that I requested is
not only limited to images for the web, but are useful for almost all
images meant to be displayed digitally (where file size or colour limits
are important.)

An examples would be colour control for indexed mode images for older
systems or pixel art.

>  > Compression is only offered in 10 levels
>
> as far as i know it has always been like that in gimp. why would you/he
> expect having more ?

I think I got the PNG compression confused with the JPEG. I have no
arguments against 10 level choice of PNG compression now.

Thanks for the work!

- Kenneth