Google SoC: Help with proposal

I'd really like to participate in Google SoC and specifically with the
GIMP project. I am only a second year CS major though and so am still
in the early stages of my education. I'm interested in the
"search-based menu browser" idea, but was unsure how to form a
proposal.

The GIMP Soc wiki says that an application should include a time line
for implementing the certain parts of the proposed project. I have
experience with C , but not with anything on the scale of gimp, and so
although I can imagine how I'd practically break this problem down
piece by piece, I'd need a little help getting started with the code.

Does anyone have any advice for how I should get started writing my
proposal? Am I expected to have a lot more experience then I do? This
would be the first "real" program I've ever worked on.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me.