Re: Enhancement Proposal: Add a temporary magnifier

Mark Lowry wrote:

> Good point.  A GIMP magnifier such as we are
> discussing should magnify the actual image, not just
> the desktop portrayal of the image.

Yes of course. Sorry not to have explicitly written this.

> If a second, stationary window is used rather than a
> moving "lens", I would suggest that it should have its
> own buttons for controling the magnification level.

also the temporary loupe can have its own zoom level
and also I will give it an option to work absolute
(to the image data) or relative (to the zoom level in
the actual image window). This means you can set it to
display the image data at 400%, or 400% of the window
level (window is at 33%, result in the loupe is 132%).
And all this of course not far away in the preferences,
but there when the loupe is there.

A few people here seem to favour a permanent loupe window
because it would not cover the main image. Now let me
first say that additional view windows (different from the
cloned main window that the GIMP already had now) tracking
the mouse pointer, already have been identified as a
requirement in our UI evaluation. These however, do not
solve the problem we got here.

Now, a permanent loupe window does cover the main window,
in a way. It simply eats screen real estate.

Let's look at the user requirements: for a _moment_
you want to see what you are _doing_ at high magnification,
while working on a _macroscopic_ scale.

I add here that to be able to be of help, the magnified
area needs to have a strong relationship (closeness) to
the actual mouse position, but always needs to be out
of the way.

everything speaks for a key-triggered loupe.

during the moment that one is focussed on the detail
there is plenty screen space to put a really sizeable
loupe window, and it will be automatically close, but
also automatically out of the way.

the next moment when one is focussed on the macroscopic
image, the loupe is gone, taking no screen real estate.

gg: mouse wheels are not universally available, so they can
never be part of the primary solution. Like second monitors,
they are extras, and we provide extra UI and shortcuts to
help the people who have them, and actually like them.

     --ps

         principal user interaction architect
         man + machine interface works