Re: healing the healing tool

GSR - FR wrote:
> Hi,
> weskaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (2007-02-21 at 0837.29 -0800):
<snip>

> http://video.about.com/graphicssoft/How-to-fix-blemishes-.htm Notice
> the clock cursor, that is the extra processing, with old computer and
> big area you clearly see it does clone and secs later it blends.
>
> - patch tool, behaves like a reversed order copy & paste (first select
> area to fix, then source). Allows knowing both areas perfectly thus
> avoiding one typical problem of clone: a big stroke covers all you
> want... but starts to get pixels from source you do not want. The
> extra processing is done at the end of the motion, too.
>
> http://video.about.com/graphicssoft/The-Patch-Tool.htm Notice how it
> looks like copy and then blends.
>
> - spot healing brush, behaves like paint tool. A drop down decides
> what the program uses as "inspiration" for the fix. Simpler than clone
> but prone to not doing what you want if used in really big areas or
> complex images (thus the name "spot", best used for dust in sky of a
> photo, ie).
>
> http://www.totaltraining.com/videos/mov/TPSE3_Healing_Brush.mov Notice
> some undo and redos until the guessing is correct.
>
> Looking at the paper without looking at the tools is a bit strange,
> you already accepted looking at the inner part, better look at the
> full picture then. Or at least set the context of what is going to be
> copied, what not, what is going to be completly new or what is going
> to be improved.
>
> GSR

The resynthesizer plugin

http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=457

can do a lot of the healing functionality (and more).  I've used it for
everything from removing small areas and filling with a good likeness to
major reconstruction of parts of photos.  It's biggest downfall is that
the documentation for it isn't very good; especially for replacing large
sections.

Jim