Re: combine crop with scaling

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 10:22 +0200, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:
> Current crop implementation (2.3.14) is very nice though it lacks a
> listbox with user-defined ratios. I really love it. The 2.3.14 has
> introduced a little inconvenience from my POV: the corner rectangles are
> too much bright. They interfere with an attempt to value the composition
> while framing. Could they become less in size and dimmer? Could the
> saturation of the frame itself become dimmer or be changed by user? The
> idea of colour inversion (or difference) is wonderful itself.

Please read the spec that Peter sent to the list. It clearly explains
why the corner frames are so important. We would like them to be
alpha-transparent overlays but that's not possible with the current
display drawing code. After a lot of experiments we settled for what we
have now. I don't think we are going to change that.

When 2.4 is out I would like to port the display to using Cairo and that
should allow us to change all this to the better. Until then, please try
to understand that we need to concentrate on the important bits now.

> There are several requests on Russian Gimp list to combine cropping and
> scaling. I'd ask it too.

The new rectangle tools are far from being finished. The original
authors have stopped working on them and it seems that no one is willing
to fix the remaining issues (and there are quite a few of them). So
please, by all means, don't bring up new features now. Currently it
seems rather unlikely that we will ever get 2.4 out with the planned
feature set.

Sven