Re: Fonts Dialog

On 12/30/06, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 15:29 +0100, iwkse wrote:
>
> > Such feature is useful when the user has a really high number of fonts
> > cause loading all them slow down whole gimp at the start.
>
> Why not just fix the slow startup instead? If your copy of fontconfig
> would work correctly, GIMP would only have to scan the fonts the first
> time it is started. Subsequent runs will use the cache file. If that
> doesn't work for you, then something is wrong with fontconfig on your
> system.

Well, if you *do* have thousands of fonts and they're all activated,
the font list is two kilometers long!  That's a problem not specific
to the GIMP, but system-wide.  I've been using an app (called
fontypython) that creates symlinks in ~/.fonts and then restarting
GIMP (or whatever program) whenever I need to switch fonts out.  It
would be nice to "rescan" for fonts, though I'm not sure how much work
would be involved.

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Chris