Re: units in um

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 15:28 -0700, dorai iyer wrote:
> I am new to the world of gimp and am interested in it because of its
> ability to do layers. My work is mostly related to microscopy. I tried
> using the unit editor however, i could not get it to calibrate the
> image for the different magnifications as it is all based of inches.
> Typically the optical microscopes have set mangifications where for
> each magnification there is pixels per um. Has anyone implemented a
> modification of the unitrc to use um instead of inches as the basis.
> Is there a way to change the unitrc to refelct the pixels/um.

There is nothing inches-specific about the unit editor. What exactly is
your problem with it?

You might however be running into the resolution limits of GIMP. To work
around that, I suggest that you use millimeters where you would use
micrometers. You will have to deal with an extra magnification factor of
1000 then, but that's not much of a problem.

Sven