Re: Using drawables with preview

sven@xxxxxxxx wrote:
:On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 14:52 -0800, triffid@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
:
:> What I'm writing is straightforward- it's a linear (i.e. one-dimensional) unsharp :>mask. (I'm probably not the first to do this, but it's a good learning opportunity, :>and it confirmed my hunch that it would work better against motion blur than the :>standard version). The line is supposed to illustrate the angle and size of the :>convolution.
:
:In that case you probably want to draw on the preview window without
:fiddling with the buffers that the preview widget uses. Just connect
:after the expose-event handler and use GDK or Cairo drawing API to draw
:on the preview area.

That's great, thanks (also to David Gowers for his response too).

I'm still a relative novice with GTK- I learned what little I know in order to write this filter's dialog box- but I'll be taking a look at that.

In the meantime, I've uploaded the linear unsharp mask filter code (first version) and some example images here:-
http://home.freeuk.com/misacham/temp/mask.htm

(Note (a) the images are fairly large and (b) Yes, I know the filter code is slow and could probably be *much* faster; one thing at a time).

Like I said, I'd be very surprised if I was the first to think of this, but I wanted to play around with the idea on my own anyway. It's hardly a miracle cure for motion blur, but the results were pretty good; it certainly beats two-dimensional USM for that purpose.

- triffid@xxxxxxxxxx