Re: Request on enhancing blending capabilities

On 11/16/06, Adrian Likins <adrian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nils Nordén wrote:

> Currently, the blending is very flat, and does not work to paint with.
> The behavior is that of default Photoshop with opacity mapped to the
> pen pressure.
>
> In Photoshop I have managed to get a smoother blending by combining
> Opacity and Flow. Set opacity to 100%, and set it to pen pressure. Set
> Flow to 10% (in the top menubar, not the jitter in brushes palette),
> and to pen pressure. That gives a more mixed, uneven and gradual
> build-up.
>
> In gimp I now noticed that the airbrush has more or less the same
> effect as Flow. The airbrush used alone gives a very fuzzy color...But
> if you could *combine* the airbrush and the more solid color with
> opacity, you would get something in the middle, "the best of both
> worlds" :-)
>
> So if you could combine those two, like add an airbrush slider under
> the opacity slider, it would rock.
>
> What do you think?

        Sounds like a reasonable idea to me. If I understand correctly,
the gimp parallel would be to allow pressure to map to brush spacing?

        Was thinking about the same thing recently, after hooking up
my tablet for the first time in a while.

Adrian

I looked up some stuff to really understand what flow does, and
according to http://www.mambo.net/as/view/159 it seems to be
time-based on how rapidly the paint will "flow" out of the cursor.
Now, what I discovered is that the Airbrush tool in Gimp actually has
something like this, it's called "Rate".

From the manual: "The Rate slider adjusts the speed of color
application that the airbrush paints. A higher setting will produce
darker brush strokes in a shorter amount of time."

So this feature is already implemented....now all it needs is some tweaking.

Here I have illustrated some tests with the advantage of flow in
photoshop, and compared it to the behavior of the gimp airbrush. At
the bottom you can also see the difference in behavior between the
gimp airbrush rate, and photoshop flow.

http://www.turtleart.net/stuff/flow.jpg