Re: Re: More interface rantings

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 02:00:48PM +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 10/27/06, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
>
> >Your text gives an impression that the old crop tool is not
> >anymore there. Is that the case?
>
> Yes, it is
>
> >The fact is that people have different ways of working and
> >therefore having two (or more) versions of the tools would be
> >perfectly ok.
>
> Can you provide examples of real first-class applications where two or
> more versions of tools are used and users are perfectly ok with it?
>
> Can you provide results of a usability research for any application
> out there that would prove that "having two (or more) versions of the
> tools would be perfectly ok"?

Whoa, let's not get so defensive here, let's discuss the issue. I'm
not sure what is meant by "the old crop tool not being there", but I
presume you are talking about the new expanded crop tool which I
grumbled about in my original post.

I have yet to hear any feedback regarding my idea of allowing the
options for a tool like the current "crop" to be customised by the
user to make it do what s/he wants it to do as a normal case. Every
user has different workpatterns, preconceptions, etc. A program that
lets the user tailor it to suit those will be welcomed and used and
loved as only a comfortable old pair of sneakers can be loved; one
that imposes its own rigid default design which can only be changed by
*endlessly* having to click on "other options" or the like only tires
the user to the point of looking for something else with a better fit.

Just a small case in point: The Save As menu as applied to jpeg
images. I personally am always saving these for use on the web. Do I
want to save the "thumbnail" and "exif" information to bloat my
images? Of course not. Do I always have to click the "advanced
options" button to turn these off? Yes, I do. Why? Why can't I set
these to the defaults that make sense to *me*?

And directory paths. Probably a gtk issue, but why? A case in point is
the gtkam application, which has been "updated" to use the gtk
stuff. In the previous version, I would always save my digicam photos
to, eg, ~/photos/2006/10. And it would remember between instances, so
I'd only have to worry about changing anything when the next month
rolled around, and then the next year. Now, it defaults *every stupid
time* to my home directory and I have to waste numerous key/mouse
strokes to get to where I want to be. The Gimp has been similar in its
forgetfullness forever. Again, a tool which will remember what I want
it to do will be appreciated as a wise tool. Take a look at the way
Gqview does directories. Then wonder why most users use it as a
front-end to get their pictures into the gimp to edit. Then ponder why
the gimp couldn't do that itself....

</rant>

Scott Swanson