Re: Switch to Tiny-Fu, end of Script-Fu maintenance?

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 10:10 +0200, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

> From my point of view, Tiny-Fu is now ready to replace Script-Fu and I
> would like to encourage everybody to make the switch so that we can
> fix any remaining bugs.  Considering that Tiny-Fu solves some real
> problems (i18n), the sooner we can do the switch, the better.

First of all, I would like to hear Kevin on this. I have asked him to
tell us about his goals for Tiny-Fu and in order to evaluate this
question, we absolutely need to know what the goals are.

Then, I would suggest that instead of ending maintainance of Script-Fu
that we switch the Scheme interpreter in Script-Fu to tiny-scheme.
Instead of removing our only platform independent language binding, we
should apply the changes that Kevin has done in the gimp-tiny-fu module
to the plug-ins/script-fu directory in the GIMP tree. This should be a
relatively small change since it only involves replacing the Scheme
interpreter. The scripts itself and probably most of the UI code can be
left untouched. Development on Script-Fu can then continue as usual and
hopefully under the lead of Kevin and the tiny-fu CVS module has
fulfilled its role and can be declared as merged and closed.

> Unless anyone objects, I would like to commit a trivial patch tomorrow
> that disables Script-Fu by default in configure.in.  It will still be
> possible to use the old interpreter by using --enable-script-fu
> explicitely, but otherwise Script-Fu should be considered as obsolete.

Definitely not. Not unless we have discussed this.

Sven