Re: undoo history and automatic script creation

> Am I missing something about why this is hard to do, or has it just
> never been a priority to provide "record to script" capability?

If my understanding is correct, the UNDO history does not record the
actions you take, merely the result of those actions (by saving the
portions of the image that were modified. The difficulty of providing a
"record to script" functionality (AKA macro recorder) is that you would
have to maintain a record of the specific actions taken (otherwise your
recorded script would not work on a different image).

A macro recorder would basically have to be a different implementation
than the UNDO history. I imagine certain simple actions (such as
changing the opacity of a layer, select->none, etc) are already recorded
in the UNDO history as "actions" and you might examine how those are
handled if you are interested in implementing a macro recorder.

--------
"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do
not care who gets the credit." -- Harry S. Truman