Re: Moving selection contents with the move tool?

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 21:48 +0930, David Gowers wrote:
> On 9/28/06, saulgoode <saulgoode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>         Regarding the current user interface (in CVS), I fail to see
>         any logic
>         in having the selection tools possessing the ability to move
>         selection
>         contents, it is much simpler and more intuitive if they limit
>         themselves
>         to selecting regions and not engage in modifying drawables.
>
> I agree completely.

In Current CVS, you have to press alt+shift or alt+control to actually
move the pixels with a selection tool. Nobody does that accidentially,
and it's a powerful tool for power users. I see no reason to remove it.

>         A minor related note: the Affect Selection option of the Move
>         Tool
>         displays two identical "Move Selection" options, both of which
>         are
>         always(?) grayed out.
>
> Either you are misunderstanding what is actually there, or your build
> is messed up.
> Try rebuilding from scratch, and then checking your assertion above.

Well, should we simply hide these options when they make no sense?
It's IMHO better to change the text to something that's actually
happening and make them insensitive. That's the whole reasoning
behind that.

ciao,
--mitch