Re: devel docs

I can foresee the next situation with the Gimp 2.4 appearing: a good deal of people asking, why all their scripts do not work anymore. And most of that poor users took these scripts from the official registry.gimp.org. Nobody is guilty, but the users suffer.

If there is a strong intent to replace script-fu by tiny-fu, there should be some decision made in advance how to handle the upcoming incompatibility. There can be several steps done _before_the_fact_: 1. Of course, a well visible item at the download page about the incompatibility. 2. Anyway, short and understandable howto describing rewriting rules of Gimp script-fu scripts into tiny-fu, even automatic translation script if it is possible.
3. Mails sent to registry script writers with ask to rewrite their scripts.

The second item is required in any case. It is not very good to replace things incompatible without providing users some way to overcome it. Do not leave users with their troubles without help!

Just my 5c.

Kevin Cozens wrote:
Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
Is it planned to provide documentation for script-fu developers to
help them porting their stuff to 2.4, whether the switch to Tiny-Fu
occurs or not? Will there be some updated docs like
http://www.gimp.org/docs/scheme_plugin/ for beginners?

I don't have any current plans to provide any additional documentation on porting scripts from Script-Fu to Tiny-Fu other than the basic information I already have on the web page. I am considering adding some extra information about dealing with the difference in how to work with items of type STRING_ARRAY.

What I know is that In Tiny-Fu's CVS repo there is a document that
looks like a draft:
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp-tiny-fu/tinyscheme/Manual.txt and
it's 23 months old.

That file was part of the original TinyScheme source. It has some useful information for script writers. There is a section in the middle that is only of interest/use to those people working on programs that want (or do) embed TinyScheme in a larger program.

--
With respect
Alexander Rabtchevich