Re: easier way to convert image into selection

On 9/15/06, David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 9/15/06, William Skaggs < weskaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Alexander Rabtchevich <alexander.v.rabtchevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Some plug-ins (edge detection for example) provide images as a result.
>If their result is required as a selection, I new only one way to make
>it: create layer mask, copy the image into the mask and convert the mask
>into selection. Is there a shorter way to do it?
>
>More common question: maybe it worth improving such plug-ins with an
>option "Create selection"?

I don't think so, but it might be nice to have a "layer to selection"
filter that would create a selection from the gray values of the
active layer.

  -- Bill

Someone broke the undo grouping in CVS gimp. The attached plugin provides 'layer to selection' and 'image to selection' functionality. 'layer to selection' has one image.undo_group_start() but two image.undo_group_end()s. This is because of the mentioned breakage: someone has made it so that I need to do two undo_group_end()s for each undo_group_start(). All my other plugins depending on undo groups broke too.

#!/usr/bin/python
import gimp,gimpplugin
from gimpfu import PLUGIN, PF_INT, PF_IMAGE, PF_DRAWABLE, CHANNEL_OP_INTERSECT, CHANNEL_OP_REPLACE, FOREGROUND_FILL, GRAY_CHANNEL
pdb = gimp.pdb
import os

class LayerToSelection(gimpplugin.plugin):
    def query(self):
	author = 'David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx>'
	date = '2006'

	gimp.install_procedure('plug_in_layer_to_selection',
	    'Convert the greyscale values of a layer or channel to a selection',
	    '', author, date, author,
	    '<Image>/Layer/To S_election',
	    '*',
	    PLUGIN,
	    [(PF_INT, 'run_mode', "run mode"),(PF_IMAGE, 'image', 'Image'), (PF_DRAWABLE, 'drawable', 'Drawable')],
	    [])

	gimp.install_procedure('plug_in_image_to_selection',
	    'Convert the greyscale values of an image to a selection',
	    '', author, date, author,
	    '<Image>/Image/To S_election',
	    '*',
	    PLUGIN,
	    [(PF_INT, 'run_mode', "run mode"),(PF_IMAGE, 'image', 'Image'), (PF_DRAWABLE, 'drawable', 'Drawable')],
	    [])

    def plug_in_layer_to_selection(self, run_mode, image, drawable):
	bufname = 'TEMP LAYER2SELECTION'
	try:
	    tmp = drawable.color
	    #easy -- load a channel
	    pdb.gimp_selection_load(drawable)
	except:
	    image.undo_group_start()
	    pdb.gimp_selection_none(image)
	    buf = pdb.gimp_edit_named_copy(drawable, bufname)
	    c = pdb.gimp_channel_new(image, image.width, image.height, bufname, 50.0, (0,0,0))
    	    image.add_channel(c)
	    fsel = pdb.gimp_edit_named_paste(c, buf, False)
	    pdb.gimp_floating_sel_anchor(fsel)
	    pdb.gimp_selection_load(c)
	    image.remove_channel(c)
	    image.undo_group_end()
	    image.undo_group_end() # This is wrong, but someone B0rked the undo grouping in recent CVS.
	    # all my other plugins that use undo grouping are broken too because they do not have this
	    # extra undo_group_end()

    def plug_in_image_to_selection(self, run_mode, image, drawable):
	c = pdb.gimp_channel_new_from_component(image, GRAY_CHANNEL, 'TEMP IMAGE2SELECTION')
	pdb.gimp_selection_load(c)
	gimp.delete(c)

    def start(self):
	gimpplugin.plugin.start(self)