Re: Building healthy community

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 12:34 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/conferences/blog/2006/07/oscon_how_open_source_projects.html
>

> During OSCon, Ben Collins-Sussman and Brian Fitzpatrick of Subversion
> fame gave a talk which was apparently very interesting on how free
> software projects can survive poisonous people.
>
> There's lots of good advice in there, including:
>  * Document your community, decisions and processes
>  * Have healthy collaboration practices
>  * Avoid names in source code - use revision history for documenting who
> did what, to avoid ownership of code/modules
>
> Anyway, it seems pertinent for the GIMP developers community, and
> perhaps a starting point for putting in place some better practices.

I want to add a note about a friendly attitude.

I was an early adopter of Subversion for office work and had to deal
with its developers in its unstable days. I remember how gentle and
friendly they were, especially Ben Collins-Sussman. I am talking from a
user's perspective, but developers were also welcomed very well.

I think GIMP is average on that scale. Sometimes everyone is very
friendly, sometimes not so friendly. But then the Subversion developers
were paid by Collab.net to be full-time employees working on it and
hence this wasn't cutting into their free time, to cause any
frustrations, etc. Lots of factors are behind why people appear to be
dorks. Maybe a nagging wife or husband.. maybe an unsatisfactory life..
maybe very little time... maybe some medical condition which shows up as
frustration. Sometimes we're unfriendly because the person we're dealing
with is rude. I've noticed though that any developer who's trying to
write something for GIMP is appreciated and helped.

We can definitely be more friendlier. We certainly must try and not be
rude to anyone. Also respect for co-developers and contributors means a
LOT. If there's no respect, forget about succeeding.

Mukund