Re: menu cluttage

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 01:43 -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:
> I e mentioned once or two that when the script-fu and python-fu
> scripts where brought togetehr to teh same menu space as the C
> filters there would be confusion about which menu entry is associated
> with a script in which language.
>
> I have been normally replied that "it does not matter" for the end
> user in which language the script is in.
>
> Well...it _does_ matter.

No, it doesn't.

> The specif\c language matters little, but there are some side-effects.
> Knowing which package brought which filter is more still important
> (and also impossible in the current "everything mixed" system)
>
> Now I just stumbled into an 'interesting' bug arising from this
> confusion:
> Python-fu Whirl and Pinch had overwritten the menu entry for C Whirl
> and Pinch (moreover Python whirl and pinch is currently crashing)

There's a problem here in our menu registration code. I don't see why
two plug-ins should not be able to install menu entries with the same
label. That's a somewhat unfortunate situation then, which should of
course be avoided, but at least both procedures would be accessible
then.

> Please notice there is no way a normal user can be aware of situations
> like this. Actually, it is almost as annoying (to say the least) as
> win95 and beyond "feature" of not showing the image file extensions
> in the file browsers.
>
> But even win95 has different icons for different kinds of images. The
> GIMP currently has just no clue.

No clue?? We have a plug-in browser that allows you to find out quite a
bit of information about the plug-in. We certainly don't need to clutter
our menus by adding icons that are meaningless in almost all
circumstances.

Sven