Re: rectangle select tool

Hi.

I see the hard work you've put into this. I'm happy to see you learn
your way around GIMP codebase. I like the cooperation effort involved.
But expect some harsh reactions from existing userbase.

Personally you're making me change a process that I've learned and
practiced in the past 6 years. During that time I've probably used the
selection tools many more times more often than I've been outside I'm
affraid[1]. But I'll bite the lip and will try my best to throw this all
away.

Initially I thought getting rid of the aspect lock modifier may be a bit
harsh. But maybe I just need to test this for a month and we'll see.
There may be another solution to the "same modifier for adding and
aspect ratio contrain" problem than you chose.

The bezier selection is now very similar in behavior with the new
selection tools. You tweak a shape first and then apply it to form a
regular marching ants selection. In bezier selections tool you use the
modifiers to add to or substract from existing selection when _applying_
the selection (pressing Alt+Enter or Alt+Click Inside to subtract, Shift
+Enter or Shift+Click inside to add...). You don't press the modifiers
before you start defining the shape. Using this for these selection
tools as well would from my point of view avoid the shortcut clash
problem.

On the other hand, rectangular and elliptical selections in cvs HEAD are
active even before they are applied. Maybe that's a good thing. Although
I found it a little distracting when I had an existing selection and
tweaking the new one "blinked through" the old one. Kinda similarly
confusing as the dual-use modifiers ;) But perhaps it's just a bug.

If you go for shift+drag for adding new selection behavior as it is now
in cvs HEAD, allow me to start the drag over an existing selection "in
progress". Currently that starts editing it as if I didn't hold shift.

There's also something I think would make the tool more usable. The
cursor changing bounds are image-resolution-bound, not
view-resolution-bound. I work with 22x22px canvases. Even when I'm
zoomed in, no selection I make shows the "apply selection" cursor in the
center as the selection border takes all the space every time. The
feedback I'm given is that I cannot apply the selection in progress by
clicking inside.

It's too early to tell if I can get used to this new behavior. Even
though the immidiate reaction was "dang give me my tools back!" I see
the benefit for a lot of casual GIMP users. It probably was a
serious-enough problem to require routine users and Photoshop converts
to forget and learn something new.

P.S.: I also noticed the selections are broken when modified with a
keyboard. The marching ants nor the final selection reflect to the
keyboard-set position.

[1] Sad, sad life I'm living.
--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac@xxxxxxxxxx>