Re: Suggestion: Make the'Newlayer'commanddefaultto'New lay

Martin Nordholts (enselic@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >To exaggerate your approach: Wouldn't it be the most usable GIMP if we
> >keep counters for the button presses? And if it turns out that a user
> >uses SHIFT-Click more than a simple click, shouldn't we just switch the
> >behaviour of the button on the fly? Maybe we should also reorder the
> >buttons according to the button click count.
> >
> >According to your arguments this would result in the most usable GIMP
> >ever, because we react to the individual usage pattern of each user. But
> >it basically will result in a Chaos, where it is unpredictable what a
> >specific button will do, even where it will be located. It is impossible
> >to document.
>
> That sure is exagerating.

Sometimes it is necessary to exaggerate to make a specific point clear.

> For this particular button however, I think we are not even talking about a
> majority, but rahter as good as _all_ users.

Yes. You think. And you have no way to back that up.

I for myself *do* use the dialog occasionally, mainly for creating new
white layers.

> If you ask yourselves, how often do I need to adjust the settings of a
> layer, and how often do I just click OK on the dialog, what is your answer?

I am not sure you are trying to understand what I write. If you've read
my mails you'd understand that I don't see a point in arguing about this
single individual button. I'll readily agree that you have a point when
looking at this specific button in an isolated manner. Heck, I even was
involved into making this button behave in this way before we reverted
it back to its current behaviour. But that is not my point.

My point is that we need to look at the big picture. The New-Channel and
New-Path button behave the same way. In a lot of other dockable dialogs
there are "New"-Buttons as well. For the reasons stated earlier I want a
consistent behaviour. This is not the case currently, but your change
won't make it more consistent at all. We need to analyze these things
and change them in an coordinated manner. Read: Usability-Study or at
least a description of the current situation and then try to improve
that.

If you don't adress the big picture in your future mails I don't see
much point in a further discussion.

Bye,
        Simon

--