Re: (no subject)

Your solution is too much complicated. Current situation with "hidden" binaries is much more acceptable from my POV. As the practice shows, the persons who want to obtain bleeding edge version ask for it at the yahoo win Gimp users group. They obtain the answer - some kind of "look through the links at the site". And they find the executable they want. And in you case they would have to compile Gimp themselves or search for the person who would kindly do it for them.

P.S. There is still no 2.3.8 compiled at the usual palace ;)

If someone, like Paolo, wishes to ease the burden of compiling development
versions from source and still be able to contribute then I would suggest that
he get together with some like-minded people, share a pre-compiled binary, and
discuss amongst themselves the problems they encounter.

--
With respect
Alexander Rabtchevich