Re: Project proposal: Resource contribution, distribution and management system

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 4/17/06, Michael Schumacher wrote:

>> Provide a system that allows anyone to contribute and maintain resources
>> (brushes, palettes, scripts, plug-ins, ...) for GIMP, and have it
>> organized in a way that makes it easy for GIMP users to access these
>> resources.
>
> I wonder if you have read this:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/create/2006-March/000314.html
> ;-)

Probably - I am subscribed to the create mailing list, but I didn't
remember this particular message. Create was also mentioned in the
discussion we had on IRC, but as one of the primary goals is to replace
the registry which contains GIMP-specific stuff (I don't think any
program except a GIMP derivate could use the plug-ins and scripts
currently), only part of this effort may be useful for it.

However, if something like http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/xsa/ (or
another format, as this seems to be unmaintained) is used as an
interface, I don't see a reason why other applications shouldn't make
use of it as well - we would already have to provide some things only to
specific GIMP versions, and this requirement could be extended to
"($version of) $app", "$fooapp, $barapp, ..." and so on. And if Create
is successful, there wouldn't be a need to distuingish, even :)

Michael

--
The GIMP > http://www.gimp.org      | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp
    Wiki > http://wiki.gimp.org     | .de: http://gimpforum.de