Re: A few suggestions forThe Gimp

   Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 14:34:45 +0100 (BST)
   From: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

   > CS browser is just one of those flat-file Microsoft thingies.
   > Why not incorporate a real relational database?  So, my
   > suggestion is to dramatically improve workflow by developing a
   > MySQL database companion for Gimp, that allows users to search
   > and sort large image databases like mine (30,000 digital images).
   > Images could be tagged while they are being processed, or batch
   > tagged.

   Interesting idea.  I suspect you would need to sponsor a developer
   if you really wanted it to happen though.

   > As director of photography for North American Women's Baseball
   > League (NAWBL), I know that searching and sorting images can be
   > very time-consuming work.  Using Gimp you could automatically
   > transfer image metadata to tags.  It would be very useful to do a
   > search involving all the images shot at f/2.8 or f/4.0?  All the
   > photos shot with a particular lens.  All the photos shot at ISO
   > 100, or ISO 800.  Photos of

   Programs like Bibble Pro, Aperture (from Apple) and Adobe Lightroom
   sound better suited to these tasks of batch processing sets of
   photos and RAW files.  These are seperate and distinct programs
   from the likes of Adobe Photoshop, Corel Paint, and Macromedia
   Fireworks.  I wonder if trying to shoehorn even more functionality
   into the GIMP in a clean and organised way is really managable.

Check out KPhotoAlbum (http://ktown.kde.org/kphotoalbum/), which
previously was named KimDaBa (KDE Image Database).  It uses an XML
file rather than a relational database for its back end storage, but
it has this kind of search capability (including user tagging, date
ranges, and EXIF data in the current pre-release snapshot, via
SQLite).  It's very fast.  I have about 12,000 images and there's very
little delay on just about any operation.

There has been some discussion about using an RDBMS backend for
storage vs. the XML backend.  My own calculations suggest that at
least up to 50,000 or so images there's no need for anything more
elaborate, and there are significant advantages to the textual XML
storage.

That said, merging image storage with image manipulation doesn't feel
quite right to me.  KPhotoAlbum was designed for one purpose -- to
maintain large collections of images with excellent search
capability.  The GIMP is also designed for one purpose -- to create
and edit images.  These two functions seem completely orthogonal to
me.